One of the things they don't tell you about independent development is that the "Indie" bit can also stand for "individual". It can get pretty lonely. I've been rolling with the project for about three months now and I'm quite happy with the progress, In fact, moving on to the high resolution conversion has made me gain a new appreciation for "art" side of things I can do. I mean, I didn't write the opening theme for the game, but I was proud that I was able to re-sequence it. The graphics are not my design, but updating them to HD has been an interesting experience. Now I'm stuck with a big laundry list of things to do and it seems like every goal is just moving the flag a little bit and I realize I'm pretty much hunkered down for the long haul.
I've beginning to network with other indie developers because this has been a solitary endeavor as of late. I tossed out this devblog and I got a spike in readership, so that's cool.
One of the things I realized is that I'm in a position where if a task needs to be done. I'm the one to do it. There is no one else to pawn something on to so if I don't know how to do it, well, it's time to learn then. Remember I said the heads are temporary for my paper dolls. That's because the art isn't mine and I'm putting in placeholders. I was hoping I could get away with them, but I can't. The bodies are fine and I draw them up with reference art, but why it looks cool is because I draw my charterers REALLY BIG and then scale them down. In the process all by awful lines and bad art is aliased to a blur.
It works though.
However, I decided I need to do the heads properly, and that's a detour that I'm going to take now other than later. I have to be really careful here as it's super easy to hang up on art and not get going to the next thing. I'm going to give myself a week to get the paperdolls all in order. This means heads. damage, rank, and everything. This means I need to pick up the pace a little. New goals are fun!