Today was the day I started to replace the filesystem functions in the game. This means that any reference to fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fclose() and other file functions are out with Allegro replacements put in.
I already started with replacing FileFindFirst() and FileFindNext() which were wrappers to the long dead _dos_findfirst() and _dos_findnext() functions (Well, not really, you can still find those in DGJPP). The Windows equivalent of _findfirst() and _findnext() were not compatible with the DOS version. On top of this all these functions are only found in the Microsoft ecosystem.
Finally, they were all underscore functions and have to go anyway.
After rewriting the functions, I now discover I can't mix and match "normal" filestream functions with Allegros, so they all have to go. Looks like I know my next project now!
In other news, My artist, Cody, has been hard at work making my original graphics pretty! The original game used three skin tones (pink, yellow, and brown) to donate races. Now things are much more racially diverse thanks to an idea he had.
The uniforms are getting a makeover an now I have battle damage! Thanks Cody!