Thursday, December 28, 2017

How are the Holidays?

Like I said in my last post, I've been doing a little year-end personal time, and have been poking at things on and off. In this little space between Christmas and New Year I have been working on the logistics of the big resolution boost. One of the things I'm going to be replacing is the text system. I want to use nice and scaled TrueType Fonts, but I'm going to assume the original fonts are not available in TTF format. In this case I'll just roll my own. I have a screenshot below of the title font that I hand converted to SVG and I'm now importing it letter by letter into a foundry application to create the TTF. I couldn't do an auto-trace because the TTF strokes out the outline in particular way. TrueType is actually a language that describes the shape of the letters. In the U.S. you actually can't copyright a font. (You can most everywhere else in the world). That being said, you can copyright the program in the TTF file that draws the font. This is the work around for font licencing, but there is nothing stopping you from just drawing your own copy of the font and coding up the glyphs yourself.

Once this the font is converted over, things like the title sequence will be a dream to re-code. I found a TTF equivalent for the GUI font that is free to use, but the "K" looks like an "H" so I'll just fix that up in my foundry.

As always, screenshot of my work so far...


No comments:

Post a Comment