Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Doucmentation Pass

There was a file I forgot to un-comment when I was adding them yesterday and now have that included too. This brings the warning total up to 990! I have my work cut out for me I guess :) I also decided to turn profiling on just to see how fast it took the compile the whole project from scratch:

 That's 3.5 seconds in human terms. I can't even guess how long it would of taken to compile in 1990.  I going to guess that it would of been somewhere between five and fifteen minutes? I took a look at the original build folder and didn't find any profile info which would of been a treat to compare.

As I'm not tracing through the code anymore, the program runs on it's own terms. I am now going to start the task of documenting the code so I know where everything is. Then I will place it in Doxygen. When the documentation is done, I will be squashing the warnings. next. I'm looking for a clean compile. After that it will be the surgical removing of the legacy functionality and and moving what I can into Allego's native functions. This includes all timers, (for example the ones that rely on clock_t from "time.h"), memory allocation, filesystem calls, and many ugly graphics hacks. Allegro has the ability to stuff things like data files and graphic assets into a transparently packed data file. At that time, I'll also be giving the game a much needed resolution boost. For this I'm going to try an experiment where the "native" resolution will be from 0 to 1 on X and Y axis. On each draw it will apply a scalar to allow any size to the display. Sadly much of the graphics are hard coded in their positions so I may have to use 320x200 as my base and use fractional coordinates for higher resolution graphics. The good news is 320x200 is 16:10 aspect ratio because the pixels were not originally square.

For fun I created a vector of the background and scaled it up to 1920x1200 to see what it would look like. It's cooler, but still a but flat. Graphic passes isn't until phase three. The exported vector is below.
Click for full size



No comments:

Post a Comment